Kids love Pasta with lots of cheese and mums love to sneak in veggies in their kids favourite pasta. With a variety of Pasta types available in the market it is hard for me to pick a favourite, however I am a bit partial to good ol spaghetti and mac and cheese comes a close second.
Pasta sauce bases made at home with fresh herbs and ingredients gives me control over the amount of salt that is added similarly it is preservative free.
So here is Mumbai to Melbourne's recipe for Tortiglioni in Salsa di Pomodoro e Basilico or simply put Tortiglioni in Tomato and Basil Sauce.
An absolutely easy and quick recipe made with minimal pantry ingredients that will leave you licking your bowl.
- Olive oil- 4 tablespoons
- Tortiglioni - 200 gms
- Garlic -4 pods
- Cracked Pepper - 2 teaspoon
- Milk - 1 measuring cup about 250 ml
- Basil - 1/2 cup leaves
- Water - 1 measuring cup (for the Pasta sauce)
- Onion - 1 finely sliced
- Tomato -2 roughly chopped
- Diced tomato can/ tomato paste -2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Sugar -2 teaspoon
- Mozzarella Cheese -100 gms shredded
- Cumin Powder- 1/4th teaspoon
- Cook Tortiglioni Pasta as per packet instructions till AL Dente. Wash under cold running water, drain and keep aside.
- Take a food processor or blender and add the basil leaves, garlic pods, cracked Pepper, chopped tomatoes, diced tomato or tomato paste and 1/2 cup water . Blend until pulpy. Now add salt, sugar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil and blend until smooth and glossy.
- This is the base for the sauce. Take a wok and add the remaining olive oil, once heated add the sliced onions and cook till translucent.
- Next add the puree base to the wok and stir well till the oil leaves the sides. Now add salt, cumin powder, pepper to taste, milk and remaining water and mix well. Let it get to a boil.
- Add about 50 gms of shredded cheese and mix well. This is the Tomato and Basil Sauce ready.
- Toss in the Tortiglioni Pasta and mix lightly till it is well coated with the sauce. Heat for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Your Tortiglioni in Salsa di Pomodoro e Basilico or simply put Tortiglioni in Tomato and Basil Sauce is now ready to dig in.
- Ensure you add olive oil to the puree and blend again till smooth as this helps emulsify the sauce base and adds depth of flavour.
- Use fresh garlic pods for authentic flavour. I have used fresh basil leaves from my kitchen garden however one could use dried basil as well just halve the quantity.
Hope you enjoyed today's recipe. Love to hear your feedback so do drop me a line or two in the comments below. Until next time have a fantastic week ahead.