I had a few fresh coriander bunches that I picked up from my local farmers market and I wanted to use them as a main ingredient for my gravy base. Dhaniya Chicken is one dish that I have eaten in Mumbai restaurants serving Punjabi/ Mughlai Cuisine.
This recipe is healthy and low on calories and fat content and high on taste. The marination time is only 15-20 minutes and the cooking time another 15 minutes. So it’s a dish you can prepare on weeknights. Serve it over a bowl of steamed rice or scoop it with Indian Flat bread- Roti or Naan.
Delicious flavour amalgamation from the fresh coriander, ginger, garlic and green chillies and tartness from yoghurt gives you a lip-smacking flavour explosion in your mouth. You can easily control the level of spice in this dish depending on how many green chillies you want to add.
I made this a few months back and did not get a chance to post this recipe until now.
I am sure this recipe for Dhaniya Chicken / Cilantro Chicken will become part of your regular menu at home once you make it.
Skinless Chicken breast/ thigh fillets – 250 gms cubed
Indian thick yoghurt/ Dahi- 1.5 tablespoons
Coriander Leaves - 2 cups heaped finely chopped (roughly 500 gms)
Green chillies – 2-3
Ginger paste – 2 teaspoon
Garlic Paste – 2 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Curry Leaves - 6-7 in no
Mustard seeds- 1/4th teaspoon
Asafoetida - A pinch
Sugar – 1.5 teaspoon
Yoghurt/ Curd - 2.5 tablespoons
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4th teaspoon
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
- Cube the thigh/ breast fillets and wash them well. Next take a bowl and add turmeric, red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon of ginger and garlic pastes and the yoghurt. Whisk it well and then add it to the cubed chicken. Mix well and cover with cling-film. Keep it in a cool place for 15-20 minutes.
- Next finely chop the coriander leaves and stem. Take a grinder/ food processor add the coriander leaves, green chillies and the remaining ginger and garlic paste, salt and sugar. Add 1/4th cup water. Blend into a fine paste.
- Take a wok, add the oil and let it heat and then add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once they splutter, add finely chopped onion and let it cook till it turns pink. Then add the marinated chicken to the wok. Mix well and cover with a lid for about 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- The chicken will start leaving its juices, now add the coriander, ginger-garlic-chilli paste we made to the wok. Mix well and add salt and lemon juice. Cover with a lid for another 7-8 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Your Dhaniya Chicken/ Cilantro Chicken is now ready.
So what are you waiting for!! Go ahead give this one a go and you can thank me later.
Do leave me your feedback in the comments below. Until next time have a great week ahead.