What should I make for brunch/lunch? This is a question that each woman asks herself almost on an everyday basis. I had half of this extremely fresh and lush green Spinach in the fridge that we bought last weekend from our local farmer's market and I wanted to make a dish that would befit its freshness.
So here is my recipe for Indian Style Spinach Fritters with Tomato and Basil Salsa.
- Spinach Leaves - Finely chopped - 600 gms
- Besan Flour / Chickpea Flour - 300 gms
- Maida / Gluten-free Self raising flour - 300 gms
- Ginger- 2 teaspoon finely minced
- Garlic - 2 teaspoon finely minced
- Turmeric- A pinch
- Asafoetida/ Hing - A pinch (Optional)
- Eno Fruit Salt/ Baking Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Mozzarella Cheese - 60 gms - finely grated
- Milk- 300 gms
- Water - 250 gms
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chillies- 2 finely chopped (stem can be removed to reduce the spice level)
- Sugar- 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil- 2-3 tablespoon for pan frying
- Diced Tomato- 3 tablespoons
- Dried Basil - 1 teaspoon
- Garlic powder - A pinch
- Sweet Paprika Powder - A pinch
Finely chop the spinach leaves and green chillies. Finely mince the ginger and garlic and add them to a mixing bowl. Next add the besan, maida/ gluten free self raising flour, salt, red chilli powder, hing , sugar and turmeric.
Next grate the mozzarella cheese and Eno-fruit salt. Mix all these ingredients together. Next add the milk and water and mix well. Ensure there are no lumps formed. Keep aside for 5 minutes to let the Eno fruit salt/ baking soda work its magic to leaven the mixture.
Now take a Non-Stick Pan and let it heat on a medium flame. Add a few drops of oil. Once heated added two heaped tablespoons of the batter to it. Let it cook for 2 minutes on one side and then flip it over to cook for 2 more minutes. Continue to make Spinach Fritters in batches. Drain on absorbent paper. This mixture made about 12 fritters which serves 4 Adults.
Next in the same pan add a few drops of oil and once heated add the diced tomato and dried basil, sweet paprika, garlic powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes till you see the oil coming out from the sides. This is the Tomato Salsa with Basil ready.
Tasty and easy to prepare what is not to love about Indian Style Spinach Fritters !
Food Photography- Ankit Mehan