The common aspect between Tex-Mex and Indian food is the use of chillies, spices and condiments. Now Mexican ingredients are easily available in stores back in India. There is a huge market for Mexican food back in India and one has seen a fair few Mexican restaurants that have mushroomed in the metro cities alone over the last 5 years. The use of cheese and beans also make it a favourite with our Indian palette.
So here is an easy quick and simple yet delicious recipe for Mexican Mint and Ginger Prawn Skewers with Black Beans Salad.
- Prawns- 25-30 in number - de-veined
- Red Chilli Powder/ Hot Paprika - 1.5 teaspoon
- Fresh Ginger - 2 inch piece
- Mint Leaves - 8 leaves
- Olive oil- enough to baste prawns while grilling
- Olive oil - 1 teaspoon (for the marinade)
- Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice - 3 teaspoon
- jalapeño peppers - 2 (marinated in brine or fresh)
- Avocado - 1 de-seeded and finely chopped
- Red Onion- 1 small - finely chopped
- Roma tomato - 2- finely chopped
- Black bean can- 250 gms
- Cheddar cheese - 150 gms shredded
- Habanero Chilli sauce - 2 teaspoon
- Corn cobs - 2
- Salt to taste
- Take a mortar and pestle add the ginger and mint leaves, sugar, salt to taste , olive oil , red chilli powder and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Pound into a fine paste. Add the prawns to the marinade and mix well. Next add shredded cheese and toss well. Cover and keep aside in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile finely chop the onions, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers. Take a salad bowl add them in. Next drain a can of black beans and rinse well. Add them to the salad bowl. Next add chopped avocado, habanero sauce and lemon juice. Toss the salad and refrigerate.
- Take a corn cob divide into two pieces and steam them till al-dente. Apply salt and remaining chilli powder and keep aside.
4. Thread the marinated prawns on skewers and heat the BBQ/ Grill pan. Grill them on one side and add some oil/ oil spray. Turn around the skewers in about 30-50 seconds and again apply some more oil if needed.
5. Now plate the salad and add the corn cobs on the side and top it up with the prawn skewers.
Here is your Mexican Mint and Ginger Prawn Skewers with Black Bean Salad ready to be eaten. Devour it as a mid week meal or enjoy it as a leisurely weekend brunch with family and friends.
Love to hear back your feedback in the comments below. Until then have a fab week ahead.