We still live in a joint family system back home albeit with a difference. It so happened that my Mum and her sisters decided to buy apartments in the same complex and we decided to internally connect them all. It was one big Party all the time in the growing up years. So do not judge me if I encore a very filmy line " A Family that eats together lives together". ( movie credit: Hum Saath Saath Hain)
I absolutely know what the writers meant when they wrote this line. I have said this before in my previous posts that 'Food binds a family together'. I remember helping Aai with tasks while she made delicious food for us and listening to stories and folk-tales. She told us mythological stories, Mahabharata, Ramayana, stories from her growing up years and what she learnt from them.
I have certainly ingrained my love for cooking and feeding people around me from her. I love to entertain and cook and experiment in the kitchen like her. I have a long way to go but its impossible to attain her stature and her finesse in the kitchen.
Today's recipe for Moong Dal Paniyaram or Moog Daliche Appe is an old concept taken from Aai's kitchen where I have experimented with different ingredients to get you crispy yet soft on the inside and extremely nutritious Appe.
You would need an Appe Kadhai or a Paniyaram Kadhai. They are usually made of cast iron and can be heavy however you do get Non-stick versions of the same in stores that sell utensils. It is easily available in Mumbai and in the Southern States of India. One can easily buy them on E-Bay.
Click here to check the Paniyaram Kadhai
The ingredients needed are:
- Moong Dal Flour / Split Green Gram Flour - 7 tablespoons
- Rice Flour- 2 tablespoons
- Green Chillies- 2 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves and stem- 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- Mixed vegetables- 300 gms steamed
- Onion- 3 tablespoon finely chopped
- Ginger paste- 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
- Kasoori Methi/ Dried Fenugreek leaves- 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil- 2 teaspoon to add to the batter
- Oil- 3 tablespoon to pan fry the Appe
- Salt to taste
- Sugar- 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida/ Hing- A pinch (optional)
- Water- 350 ml
- Turmeric - A pinch
- Take a mixing bowl and add the Moong Dal flour and rice flour along with salt, turmeric, asafoetida , sugar and kasoori methi, cumin seeds and mix well.
- Next add the ginger and garlic paste and two teaspoon oil and mix well. Now slowly add the water to the dry ingredients by making a well in the centre and mix slowly. Ensure a smooth batter is formed without any lumps.
- Steam the vegetables. I am using frozen mixture of peas, carrots and corn kernels which I thawed in the microwave for 6 minutes and drained all the liquid. Add the steamed vegetables, chopped onions, chillies and coriander to the batter. Mix well and keep aside.
- This is the Moong Dal and vegetable batter ready.
Heat the Appe Kadhai on a medium flame. Add a couple of drops of oil in each mould so it is well greased. You can use the back of a spoon to do so. Once the Appe Kadhai is well heated add one tablespoon of the batter in each mould. Then cover with a lid. The steam generated helps with the cooking process.
Open the lid after a minute and half, use a toothpick or a teaspoon to turn around each Appe around in the mould so as to the cook the other side. Cover again with a lid for about a minute. Keep the cooked Paniyarams aside on absorbent paper. Cook the remaining paniyarams in batches.
Your Moog Daliche Appe or Moong Dal Paniyarams are now ready to be gobbled.
Photography- Ankit Mehan and Sharvari P Mehan
Serve Moog Daliche Appe or Moong Dal Paniyarams with tomato ketchup or mix rqual quantities of coriander chutney with tamarind chutney to get a spicy and sweet chutney. They are perfect for breakfast or evening snack. Ideal food for your kid's lunch-boxes as they are not fussy and easy to carry and eat.
Points to remember while making Appe/ Paniyarams:
- Ensure the batter is smooth without any lumps before adding any vegetables. You can use any vegetables of your choice. Mushrooms, green beans and tomatoes also taste great with moong dal batter.
- While making Appe for kids just omit the green chillies and add a pinch of red chilli powder instead. Kids enjoy Appe with tomato ketchup.
- Appe can be stored in the fridge upto two days and simply reheat them in the microwave for 35-40 seconds and they will be as good as new.
- Moong dal is very nutritious and it is a great way to get kids to eat vegetables as they are hidden in the batter.
- This recipe is vegan, vegetarian and gluten and nut free.
Have a great weekend ahead . Rest well and have fun.