It is flavored with Ketjap Manis / Kecap Manis that is an Indonesian sweet soy sauce and Sambal Oelek which is a roughly pounded chilli paste. You can add any vegetables of your choice and any protein such as prawns or chicken. Normally served with a fried egg on top this dish is absolutely delicious and is a favourite at home.
The ingredients needed are:
- 3 cups cooked rice - leftover rice will give the best results
- Ketjap Manis/ Soy sauce - 3.5 tablespoons
- Sambal Oelek- 3 tablespoons ( can increase or decrease as per preference)
- Ginger Powder - 1.5 teaspoon
- Garlic Powder - 1.5 teaspoon
- Fried onions/ shallots - 3 tablespoons
- Spring onions- 2 bulbs and greens finely chopped
- Tofu- 50 gms- cubed
- Broccoli- 50 gms - diced
- Chinese Cabbage/ Wombok/ Cabbage- 50 gms - shredded
- Carrots- 50 gms - finely sliced
- Red capsicum- 75 gms - finely sliced
- Green capsicum- 75 gms - finely sliced
- Peas - 30 gms - steamed (optional)
- Eggs- 2 or scrambled soft tofu for a vegan option
- Butter - 50 gms
- Oil- 2 tablespoons
- Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Cucumber- sliced - as accompaniment to the rice (Optional)
If adding a protein such as chicken or prawn - Use about 100 gms
- Take a bowl and add the Ketjap Manis, Sambal Oelek, ginger powder, garlic powder, 2 tablespoons of fried onions and pinch of red chilli powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly. This will be the sauce base for the Nasi Goreng. If using Soy Sauce instead of Ketjap Manis then you would need to add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the sauce base as well to give it that hint of sweetness.
- Next take a Wok and keep it on high heat. Add the butter, once melted add the tofu cubes/ protein that you are using. Once it has seared add one tablespoon of the sauce base. Another minute and the protein should be cooked. Keep it aside in a bowl.
- In the same wok, add the oil , add the spring onion bulbs, the shredded wombok/ cabbage and let it cook on high flame for a minute. Then add all the remaining vegetables and cook on high flame for about 2 minutes. Then add the cooked tofu / protein.
- Next add the remaining sauce base to wok and mix well. In about a minute the vegetables should have absorbed the sauce base well. Add salt to taste. Push the vegetable mix aside to one side of the wok. Then crack open an egg on the other side of the wok and then scramble it and mix it with the vegetables.
- If you are vegan or allergic to eggs you can add 50 gms of soft tofu and then scramble it and mix with the vegetables.
- Add the pre-cooked rice to this and mix well with the vegetable-tofu mix. Check for salt. If you feel the need to add more spice add some more Sambal Oelek. Lastly top it with some spring onion greens and remaining fried onions. Serve with a fried egg on top and some cucumber slices.
- Your Nasi Goreng- A Vegetarian Feast is ready to be devoured. This recipe serves 4 adults.
Until next time have a cracker of a week.