You wonder what could you make that would be quick and easy but assuage your hunger and also make you lick your fingertips.
Do you have Prawns in the fridge/ freezer?? You do !! Thats great. Then let us make some Prawns Sukhe! (in a roasted coconut and a hint of tomato gravy base)
I promise to add some zing to your evening.
- The Marination
- The Gravy base
- Cooking the Prawns
The Ingredients for the Marination are :
- Prawns- 20-25 in no
- Turmeric- 1 teaspoon
- Chilly Powder- 1.5 teaspoons
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon Juice- 1 tablespoon
- 3 tablespoons of fresh finely grated coconut ( You can get this in the freezer aisle of any Indian Store in Melbourne)
- one large onion- roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of diced tomatoes from a can / one fresh chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons of chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon- coriander seeds
- 1-2 cloves
- 3/4th teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of water
Steps to make the Gravy Base
- Take a non-stick kadhai (wok), add the olive oil and keep it on a low-medium flame. Once the oil heats up add the grated coconut.
- Ensure you keep stirring it continuously which helps in even roasting of the coconut.
- About 5 mins later the coconut should start to turn yellowish and become fragrant. It is now the time to add the onions, the peppercorns, coriander seeds, clove , cinnamon and kasoori methi , sugar and salt.
- Mix well and keep stirring till the coconut turns reddish in colour and fragrant.
- Then add the diced tomato to this roasted mix.
- Mix this well for about 2-3 minutes. The gravy base should now look like this.
- Now the last step in making the gravy base is to whip this in a blender to a thick paste. You can add a couple of tablespoons of water while blending. The gravy Base after blending should look like this.
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil
- 1/2 roughly chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon of garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- In the same Kadhai (Wok), add the olive oil, keep it on medium flame. Once heated add the ginger and garlic paste and stir till the raw smell goes away.
- Then add the chopped onion and stir till they turn pinkish brown.
- Now add the marinated prawns and stir well. Cook on medium flame till prawns are nearly done.
- Then add the blended gravy base that we made to the nearly cooked prawns.
- Mix well. Cover with a lid and let it simmer on medium flame for about 5-7 mins. Check for salt.
- Prawn Sukhe is ready to be devoured with roti or rice.
You can make a vegetarian version of this dish by adding boiled potato which can be marinated using the same marinade - instead of the prawns.
I would love to hear from you. Do drop me a line or two in the comments below. If you make Prawns Sukhe let me know how it turns out!
Have a fantastic Day !