Here is my Mum in Law's Punjabi Tomato-Onion Masala recipe. This is a slow cook recipe.
The ingredients that you need for this dish are :
- 2 tablespoon oil (olive/ vegetable oil/ ghee)
- 2 medium sized onions- roughly chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes- roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon diced tomato from a can/ 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1.5 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves(kasoori methi)
The Method of Preparation:
- Take a non-stick wok (kadhai). Keep it on low flame. Now add oil. Once its heated add the chopped onions. This is Stage 1 Onions.
- The onions have 5 stages in its cooking process.
Stage 2 Onions - after 5-7 minutes of slow cooking onions should look like this below.
- Now its time to add the fresh chopped tomatoes. There are 5 stages of tomato cooking process. This is Stage 1 Tomatoes.
Stage 5 Tomatoes - Cook the tomato onion mix for 10 more minutes and the mix will be fully cooked. It will leave oil from the sides and you can see the gorgeous red colour. Its time to add the spice powders, kasoori methi and ginger garlic paste(minced) and a pinch of salt.
Don't forget to drop me a line or two in the comments below. Would love to hear from you. Have a great week ahead.