Can easily be made with chicken/ meat of your choice. Similarly just omit the prawns to the dish to make it a vegetarian's delight.
- 200 gms packet- Rice Vermicelli Noodles
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6-7 Snow Peas - blanched and sliced
- 3 Spring onion bulbs - chopped finely
- 3 Spring onion greens- chopped finely
- 50 gm Tofu - Sliced Lengthwise (increase quantity if making vegetarian version)
- 50 gm Mushroom- sliced
- 4 leaves of Baby Pak Choy sliced
- bulbs of Baby Pak Choy sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 Carrot- sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 red onion - sliced lengthwise
- 50 gms - Red Capsicum/ Pepper - sliced lengthwise
- 50 gms- Green Capsicum/ Pepper - sliced lengthwise
- 25 gms- Broccoli florets - blanched
- 30 gms - Wombok/ Chinese Cabbage/ Cabbage - Shredded
- 10-12 Prawns (Optional) / Shredded Chicken/ Meat of your choice if using
- 1 Egg - whisked (Optional)
- 2.5 tablespoon Sesame oil/ Peanut Oil
- Mung Bean Sprouts - A handful
- Salt to taste
The Ingredients needed for the sauce are :
- Birds eye Chilli - 1 diced finely
- 3 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1.5 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 2.5 tablespoon -Madras Curry Powder/ Curry Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 teaspoon Turmeric
- 3 tablespoon Water/ Vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mild Chilli Sauce
- Salt to taste
- Cook the noodles as per packet instructions. Once cooked drain, run under cold water for a few minutes to stop the cooking process. Keep aside and apply some olive oil to the noodles.
- Now mix all the ingredients listed under - Ingredients to make a sauce. Mix well. This sauce base should be fragrant and thick.
- Now take a Wok/ Kadhai. Add 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil, once heated add the prawn/ meat/ tofu to the pan and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Now add a pinch of salt and add 1 tablespoon of the sauce base that we just made. Toss well in the sauce to coat evenly. Keep them aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the same Wok. Once heated add turmeric mix well, now add the sliced onions and spring onion bulbs (shallots). Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the red and green capsicum and cook till they are cooked yet crisp on the exterior.Then add the shredded Chinese cabbage and carrots and mix for a minute. Then add the blanched snow peas, broccoli florets, mushrooms, baby pak choy greens and bulb and the stir fried tofu/ prawns/ meat. Add some of the spring onion greens and reserve some for garnishing.
- Now add all the remaining sauce base to the mix. Mix well. Check for salt.
- Add a whisked egg to the Wok (If using/ this is optional step) and scramble it and mix with the vegetables. Finally add the noodles. Use a couple of forks/ tongs to mix the noodles with the vegetables and prawns/ tofu/ meat mixture.
- Let the noodles absorb the juices, increase the flame to high for a minute and toss well. Serve with a handful of mung bean sprouts on top.
- Hawker Style - Singapore Noodles (Singapore Mei Fun) with Prawns and Vegetables is now ready to be devoured.
Feel free to use other green vegetables if you cannot find Asian greens like Baby Pak choy. Chinese cabbage can be substituted with regular cabbage or Savoy cabbage. The important element of the dish is fresh vegetables and Madras Curry Powder which is easily available in most supermarkets. It can be substituted with Curry powder / Garam Masala. If using Garam masala reduce the quantity to 1 tablespoon.
Photography by Ankit Mehan
I love to receive feedback from all of you. So to all my silent readers a big thank you for following me and supporting me. I would love you to break your silence and tell me how you like the recipes I have been posting so far. To the vocal readers a very big thank you for your generous feedback, it validates and encourages me to keep blogging.
Until Next time have a great week ahead.