I had a few Bell Peppers (capsicum) in the fridge and some firm tofu which I paired together for dinner. Fresh flavors using existing pantry ingredients and a quick turnaround time makes this dish a breeze to cook. Extremely healthy, a colourful vegetarian/ vegan delight.
Here is my recipe for Tofu and Bell Pepper Stacks - with Tomato and Herb Rice.
- Tomatoes - 2 - cut into thick slices
- Yellow Bell Peppers- 1 - cut into rectangular shapes
- Green Bell Peppers -1 - cut into rectangular shapes
- Firm Tofu - 350 gms - cut into thick slices
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- 4 tablespoon
- Ginger- 1.5 tablespoon freshly grated
- Avocado - 1/2 - roughly smashed- still chunky
- Lemon juice - 2 tablespoon
- Diced tomato/ Pureed tomato - 5 tablespoon
- Garlic cloves- 2
- Chives- dried/ fresh - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves and stem - 3 tablespoon finely chopped
- Paprika/ Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
- Fried Shallots/onions - 2 tablespoon (Optional)
- Rice- 4 cups of cooked rice - either Jasmine/ Basmati rice
- Sugar- 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Prep the Bell Peppers and the tomato and the tofu.
- Then cook the rice and keep aside to cool.
- Take a mixing bowl, add the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, grated ginger and the chives, salt and pinch of sugar. Whisk this well to create the marinade.
- Toss the tomato, bell peppers in the marinade and keep aside.
- Next coat the tofu slices in the marinade. Keep the remaining marinade aside which will be used as a drizzle at the end.
- Heat up your Grill pan/ BBQ and grill the tofu slices on both sides. Followed by the bell peppers and tomatoes.
- Take a blender add the chopped coriander, garlic cloves and tomato , fried shallots (if using) salt and one teaspoon of olive oil. Blend well into a smooth tomato herb sauce.
- Take 4 cups of rice (that we cooked before) and add about half of the tomato herb sauce to it. Mix well so that each grain of rice is coated with the same.
- Now the fun part- the stacking up of the gorgeous char-grilled Bell Peppers and Herbed Tofu.
- In the serving plate take a slice of tofu, add on a teaspoon of the tomato herb sauce and spread it evenly on the slice. Then top with with a Yellow Bell Pepper.
- Now add a dollop of smashed avocado and then add one more slice of tofu over it. Add the char-grilled tomato on top. Again layer it with a teaspoon of the tomato herb sauce. Spread it evenly on the tomato. Add a dollop of avocado and a coriander leaf.
- Serve it with the tomato and herb rice. Drizzle the remaining extra virgin olive oil and ginger marinade over the top of the stacks. Serve Tofu and Bell Pepper Stacks - with Tomato and Herb Rice with a glass of cold lemonade or chilled beers and enjoy it with friends and family.
- A perfect Sunday brunch meal and can be a great weekday dinner quick fix meal. Perfect for a BBQ party or a house party. So what are you waiting for Stack 'Em Up !!
Photography by Ankit Mehan
Have a fantastic week ahead.