Sharvari P Mehan
One such ingredient is a cereal/pseudo cereal called Quinoa (Pronounced as Keen-Wah) that caught my fancy a few years back. I was in my local supermarket(in Melbourne) and happened to pass by the health food aisle(it also happens to be one of my favourite aisles ) when I noticed a pack of Quinoa that read – Superfood.
Curiosity Always kills a Foodie Cat!! So here I was a few dollars lighter, a satisfied happy smile on my lips and heaps of ideas running through my head as to how I was to cook this superfood Quinoa. Since then I have rustled it up a few different ways. Quinoa is extremely healthy, gluten free grain, loaded with proteins and amino acids and vitamins.
So when this week I wanted to cook a quick meal that would fill me up I thought why not give my trusted Quinoa a new spin. Here is my recipe for Tomato Quinoa with Spiced Roast Pumpkin.
The ingredients needed are:
- Quinoa - 1 cup/ 300 gms
- Water - 2 cups
- Mushroom- 50 gms - Sliced
- Tomato Puree/ Diced Tomato- 5 tablespoons
- Pumpkin- 300 gms- Cut into Wedges
- Olive Oil- 1.5 tablespoons
- Baby Spinach- to use as garnish (can use other greens)
- Ginger paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste- 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- A pinch
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- kasoori methi- A pinch
- Lemon juice- 1 teaspoon
- Step 1 - Cooking the Quinoa
- Step 2 - Roasting the Pumpkin
Preheat the oven to 200 Degrees Centigrade. Line an oven proof tray with foil and arrange the wedges. Roast it for for 5-7 minutes. (Or longer depending on the type of pumpkin used. I have used Kent Pumpkin which was cooked completely in 7 minutes)
- Step 3 - Flavoring the Quinoa
Your Tomato Quinoa with Spiced Roast Pumpkin is now ready to be served with some spinach greens.
Photography – Ankit Mehan